Friday, July 29, 2005

Summer in Smallwood

I had posted another blog here earlier but after re-reading it I felt it was too angry. I’m spending the summer in a cabin in the Catskill Mountains with my two-year-old son. Taking a break from Manhattan and the busy life and thinking about what our new life in Germany might be like. Lot’s of reading and research this summer, on schools and culture and apartments in Berlin and Cologne (the two destinations we are considering).
I have serious reservations about leaving America … about being just that much farther away from old friends and family and the food and language I have grown up with. But our son is equal parts American and German and I want him to have the opportunity to know the world and I worry that the country I love has become mean spirited and the source of a great deal of anguish around the world. These are my thoughts this afternoon, on a near perfect day, rich blue sky, cool breeze, bright sun … and nothing but the sound of bird song outside the window.

3 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Hello! Researching all aspects of German life beforehand is *very* important in planning your move. Glad to see you doing just that, and you're right to be apprehensive. It's a monumental decision that will change your life. I'm from Canada, not the U.S. but if I had known then (15 years ago) what I know now, I certainly wouldn't have made the move. My German husband also regrets that we didn't decide to settle in Canada. Have you joined the "german-way" list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/german-way/? It's for people living in or interested in Germany.
Good luck to you!

9:04 AM  
Blogger diebertranden said...

Hello,
to balance the previous comment, you might try the following blog of mine http://diebertranden.blogg.org.
It s in french but the title says pretty much the essence "betterlivingthroughgermany". we (me wife and 3y son) do enjoy our new home in Berlin A LOT!!

diebertranden

1:44 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Thanks Diebertranden ... I will do that.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home