Thursday, November 17, 2005

November 17

Tomorrow morning we leave. Today I will be closing the cabin for the winter, securing in plastic tubs anything the mice might find tasty, tossing out anything I don’t really, really want to keep, locking the windows, making certain for the umpteenth time that everything is turned off, confirming that the plumber is coming to drain the pipes, going to the dump, turning in the license plates for the cars, picking up the rental I will drive to the airport and packing – I haven’t even begun to pack my suitcase yet. I shipped my guitar yesterday, I was planning to take it with me on the plane but the airline called and said there wasn’t room in the cabin – Oh great! – that makes me feel good knowing the damn cabin in the plane is too crowded for my guitar – we will probably be sandwiched in for seven hours between smelly, overweight wheezers with too much luggage and too little time for personal hygiene. So I spent $300 to ship the guitar I’ve been playing for 30 years – you read that right boys and girls, my guitar is older than 87% of the people who will read this post! But the upside is that I have the right to check one extra piece of luggage, so if I’ve guessed incorrectly about what I can fit in my bag, I can always add another. I had great plans about pre-packing and even made lists of what to do and when so that today would not be the mad, frantic, hair-pulling shit storm that it promises to be …
It’s almost 7AM and His Holiness will be calling me soon, officially sounding the call to begin the day … Wish me luck!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep.. you really need THAT PILL lol
poor you.. I hate the last days, hours before leaving a country. Why are you going to Germany though? I know you might hate me for asking :-)

2:20 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Sending lots of positive energy your way, Richard! Is it really a 7 hour flight? It only takes us 9 from Frankfurt to Vancouver.

I don't think all the lists in the world are going to be able to stop the shit storm - better to just go with the flow.:-)

P.S. I am older than your guitar. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

L ... In one or more of the previous posts I address that subject... and thanks for stopping by.

C ... actually it's 8 hours!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I'm older than your guitar too... :)
So it's all down to this; try to sleep well, friend.
Here's to new beginnings!

7:20 PM  
Blogger christina said...

8 hours - wow. You must be flying via Tuktoyaktuk.

Have a safe trip over and don't forget to check in as soon as you can. (Like you won't have anything else to do!)

10:28 PM  
Blogger J said...

You have a morning flight? I thought most transatlantic flights from the East Coast were overnight flights. Regardless, I hope it all goes well for you.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

J ... It's an afternoon flight but remember, we live in a cabin in the woods, hours from Manhattan, so our journey begins in the morning, in fact, just a few hours from now.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home